Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Day in the Life

Today I formally announced that I am running for City Council (2nd District). Since there was apparently a car accident at the time of the announcement, the one TV station that said they would come didn't come. (Then tonight they reported I was running in a different district against a person who hasn't announced yet. Details, details.)

So it ended up just being me, reading a short speech to a bunch of my friends and colleagues, all for the benefit of one [MSM] reporter. Don't get me wrong, I am very glad he was there (Ben Lanka from the Journal). He got lots of personal attention. But it was kind of funny. Hopefully tomorrow there will be a small story in the J-G. Ben does a good job.

What HAS been nice is the wide coverage in the local blogosphere today. Thank you to Robert Rouse, Mitch Harper, John Good, and Mike Sylvester who all posted about the news conference (I believe in the order I listed them here). I'm not sure how many people actually read these blogs, relative to the size of the electorate - but those who do definitely get more local news content than those who don't.

If people continue to question whether bloggers are journalists, my response is now: at least they are covering local events.

If you want to read about the campaign, you can check out www.citizensforgoldner.com. I am very grateful to Beth and Dave for all of their hard work on the design and programming of it.

You know how you can think about something for a long time, plan it in your head, talk with folks about it, etc......but when you actually DO IT, you're still a little surprised at yourself. This has been today for me. Only without the TV cameras.
|