Monday, February 05, 2007

Former Republican Majority Leader Dick Armey Goes Off on Delay, Bush, Iraq, etc

I can't do this interview justice - you really just have to read it for yourself (it's rather short). I have never heard any recent GOP leader sound off like this. He doesn't hold anything back. I've excerpted a few gems but read the whole thing:

"I have my own understandings and feelings about Tom DeLay. ... I don't believe he's a good person and I don't believe he is a person who should have been in public office. I don't like sneaky, conniving people. I don't like people who get behind closed doors and contrive against other people."


"I don't see how anybody can look at the Bush presidency and say this was a success in public policy terms."


Q: You voted for the resolution to go to war.

A: "I did, and I'm not happy about it. The resolution was a resolution that authorized the president to take that action if he deemed it necessary. Had I been more true to myself and the principles I believed in at the time, I would have openly opposed the whole adventure vocally and aggressively. I had a tough time reconciling doing that against the duties of majority leader in the House. I would have served myself and my party and my country better, though, had I done so."
|