Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The terrorists may be winning...

Read this story:

<http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/10890113/detail.html#>

<http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2007/01/31/boston-alert.html#skip300x250>

The great City of Boston was nearly shutdown because of a few electronic devices that were being used in a marketing campaign by Turner Broadcasting.

Interestingly enough, per Turner Broadcasting, these devices have been "in place for two to three weeks in Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Austin, San Francisco and Philadelphia."

This story goes a long ways to showing you what is wrong with our Government and our society...

A company installs some mobile electronic billboards in TEN major US cities. They operate for 2-3 weeks with no problem...

Then one day, one concerned citizen calls the police and reports a suspicious "Package." This suspicious package displays a cartoon character...

The bomb squad decides it may be a bomb and blows it up...

Trains and highways are shut down, a hospital is evacuated, etc...

Good grief.

I was an Electronics Technician for six years in the USN. In the civilian world I spent about four years as an electrician in various factories and I am a Journeyman Electrician... I also spent four years as the maintenance manager at a factory... I have dealt with a wide variety of equipment in my life.

If someone called me and wanted me to investigate a "suspicious package" and I found a small electronic device that had electronic components and that displayed a picture of a cartoon character I would be able to figure out that the device was something other then a bomb...

Really, I could...

I guarantee it...

The ONLY thing that was done wrong as far as I can tell is the devices were installed on bridges and the like. This most likely violates local sign ordinances. Mounting these electronic billboards on a bridge is similar to spray painting graffiti or putting a political sign on a telephone pole...

Amazingly enough, the technician who installed the signs has been arrested. He most likely was arrested for violating the sign ordinance and mounting the devices on public property.

The Mayor of Boston and The Governor of Massachusetts both are saying that they may well sue Turner Broadcasting for damages...

People are too afraid of their own shadows. I am sick and tired of the "nanny government" and their desire to protect me from phantom threats... This is getting old.

What do you think?

Mike Sylvester
|