Thursday, February 15, 2007

Tax Returns...

As most of you know I am an Accountant. I work in a Public Accounting Firm with my better half, Karena. She has been a CPA for most of our marriage...

We will most likely file about 250 individual tax returns this year. We will file about 100 separate business returns; most for sub chapter S corporations.

I convinced Karena to start the business in July of 2001. Our daughter was born in June of 2001 and I convinced Karena that she should start a business and work part time out of our home.

In 2002, 2003, and 2004 I worked full time at Halex as their Maintenance Manager and worked part time preparing tax returns for my wife's business.

In 2004 I left Halex and went to work for my wife part-time and went back to College full-time. I did a lot of work for my wife during 2005 and 2006, especially during tax season.
I graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Business with a specialty in Accounting in May of 2006.
Ever since I have worked full-time for my wife. (I have a lot of stories about working with my spouse...)

I have passed 3 of the 4 sections of the CPA exam. I am waiting to find out my results on REG. I expect that I passed and I will find out in a few weeks... Then I will file the needed forms and become a CPA...

We provide a large range of accounting services including:
Tax Return Preparation
Quickbooks Training
Phone support for all Accounting issues
Bookkeeping
Payroll and Payroll taxes
Sales and Food and Beverage Taxes
Business Valuations
Etc...

We had no clients in early 2001... We now have 250 individuals that we do tax returns for and 100 businesses that we do work for... Almost all of our clients are in Fort Wayne or Allen County; however, we do have clients in about ten states and one in Canada.

Most of our clients employ 1-3 people. Our largest client employs about 25 people.

We spent about $5000 to advertise in 2001 and 2002. We had a website, ran a few ads in small newspapers, and sent some direct mail. This advertising resulted in 26 long term clients. The rest of our growth was 100% from referrals...

There are two morals to this story:

1. If you do a good job for people they will tell their friends and family about you and your business will grow!

2. We are expanding and looking for new clients. We would love to prepare your tax return and help you with your Accounting needs. Please shoot me an email at Mike.Sylvester@Verizon.net.

Mike Sylvester
|