Friday, December 19, 2008

Congress gets a raise

So, Congress is getting a $4,700 pay increase, during this recession. I'm not really sure if that is supposed to be a statement or a question.

To be fair, they didn't even have to vote on the raise. It is an automatic 2.8 percent increase. They would actually have to vote to NOT receive the pay increase... but, should they have passed on it as was done in 2000?

You know, I'm not against wage increases. In fact, I was all for raising the minimum wage, even though I know there are cons to that as well. In today's economy, I think that if a member of Congress has trouble making ends meet with an average salary of $169,300 per year, that they should just get out of office. The main reason for wage increases is to offset the cost of living, but should that even be a factor if you are making over six figures???


If nothing else, the timing is just bad. With so many unemployed, and the economy in a seemingly never ending downward spiral, it just doesn't make sense. But then again, it's only an additional $2.5 million per year. What the heck is that though compared to the billions being tossed out like candy already? How about just setting an example to the banks, auto makers and the average person? Or is the message do as I say, and not as I do?
|