Sunday, April 15, 2007

Councilman Pape Channels Dwight Schrute in Harrison Square Speech

Cross-posted at Left of Centrist:

I don't know how many of you watch The Office on NBC but I find the show incredibly hilarious. In one episode a salesman named Dwight Schrute had to give a speech in front of a convention of salesmen but he had a fear of public speaking. So his co-worker Jim Halpert, who is constantly playing practical jokes on Dwight, decides to help him out by giving him some notes for his speech as well as tips on what to do while speaking to keep the audience's attention.

What Dwight doesn't realize is that the notes Jim gave him are adaptations from a Mussolini speech that Jim downloaded off the internet. Jim also tells Dwight that while he's speaking he needs to constantly pound his fist on the podium and wave his arms so as to emphasize his points.

Now at yesterday's monthly Democratic Party meeting Tim Pape gave a fist-pounding speech on the need to support Harrison Square. I immediately thought of Dwight's speech which you can watch here. I'm sure everyone that was there will get a kick out of this comparison.

"No development is worth anything unless it can pay for itself" (thump, thump - fist pounding on podium)

"Some people will tell you Harrison Square is a bad word. They'll conjur up images of Midtown Crossing and failed promises."

"This is our duty to change their perception."

"I say Harrison Square supporters of Fort Wayne - Unite!"

"We must never acquiesce. For it is together, TOGETHER we prevail!"

"We must never cede control of downtown for it is TOGETHER WE PREVAIL!" (thump, thump, thump, thump)

Ok, Ok, so that wasn't exactly what he said but for those of you that were there you HAVE to watch the video. Everyone else, well you'll have to use your imagination but just watch the video and I'm sure it won't be too difficult.

As I've previously blogged, I think councilman Pape is one of the better councilmen we have and I admire his passion on Harrison Square and other issues. I just thought his speech was eerily similar to Dwight Schrute's and thus I found it quite humorous...

Labels: , , ,

|