Friday, March 23, 2007

Congressional Democrats break several campaign promises made last year

I am extremely disappointed in the Democrats in Congress today.

I voted for several Democrats this year because I was convinced that they would honor their campaign promises. They have already broken several of these campaign promises and I am disappointed. I have held off posting about this because I have been hoping the Congressional Democrats would get their act together.

The Democrats have broken the following promises:

1. They promised to be fiscally responsible. They promised to change the appropriations process to reduce earmarks, pork-barrel spending, and to not use Emergency spending bills for non-emergency items.

They badly violated this promise today with an embarrassing emergency war funding bill. President Bush proposed a HUGE emergency spending bill that was larger then needed. So Nancy Pelosi added 20 billion more in un-needed spending and the Democrats voted for it in lock-step. I have listed some of the specifics the bill contains over on my blog. The bill is loaded with farm subsidies, foreign aid, and numerous items that have nothing to do with emergency spending. Why does an Emergency spending bill give almost a quarter of a BILLION dollars in foreign aid to Eastern Europe?

2. The Democrats promised to work harder. It can be argued that they have worked more hours then the Republicans worked last year; however, they are far under what they promised. There are no five day work weeks in Congress. Heck Nancy Pelosi had the House take a day off so members could go and watch a college football game in January. This country has serious problems and I expected the Democrats to work five days a week to fix them. They work 3...

3. The Democrats promised to treat the minority with respect and to not use "legislative tricks" in order to avoid the normal legislative process. They have completely avoided this and do not even make any pretense that they will honor this promise.

Many of the readers and contributors to this blog are Democrats and I look forward to reading your comments. I have avoided any criticisms that are debatable.

I imagine most of you are as disappointed as I am. I have a feeling that the only Democrats who are not disappointed are those who would back the Democrats no matter what they did...

Mike Sylvester
|